This article will guide you through everything you need to know about hiring Technical Product Managers. There are several other titles for Technical Product Managers, including: Technical Product Owner, Technical Project Manager, Product Development Manager, Engineering Manager, and R&D Manager.
The key responsibilities of Technical Product Managers
The responsibilities of Technical Product Managers are to develop and manage products from conception to release. They work with cross-functional teams to create product requirements, specifications, schedules, and milestones. They also track project progress and ensure that products are delivered on time and within budget. In addition, Technical Product Managers liaise with customers to gather feedback and ensure that products meet their needs.
Essential tasks of Technical Product Managers
These are some essential tasks that Technical Product Managers often tackle in their day-to-day work:
- Develop product strategies in alignment with company goals.
- Research and develop product roadmaps.
- Work with cross-functional teams to ensure products are designed and built to specification.
- Coordinate product launches and releases.
- Monitor product performance post-launch and pivot strategies as needed.
Expert advice on hiring Technical Product Managers
These signals will help you decide whether a candidate is suitable for the job:
- Asks thoughtful questions about the role and the company during an interview is likely to be a good fit for the job.
- Background in engineering or a related field is likely to be a good fit for the job.
- Experience managing product development for a software company is likely to be a good fit for the job.
- Track record of delivering successful products is likely to be a good fit for the job.
- Effectively communicate with both engineering and business teams is likely to be a good fit for the job.
- Work effectively in a fast-paced environment is likely to be a good fit for the job.
Interview questions for Technical Product Managers
These questions will help you find the right candidate for this position:
- Describe your experience with product management in a technical domain.
- What challenges have you faced when trying to bring a technical product to market?
- How do you approach managing stakeholders with competing demands on a product?
- How do you prioritize and manage competing technical and business objectives?
- What technical product management tools and techniques do you use?
Are you hiring Technical Product Managers? Use HiPeople today to hire the best talent in 50% of the time.
For more information on hiring Technical Product Managers, take a look at our expert-crafted job description.